Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Mumbai Mumbai Mumbai!

I've finally made it! Both my flights were late, but thankfully I made a friend (from my flight who was super helpful and entertaining. Right from the beginning, I've experienced the kindness and friendliness of Indians. For example, I asked an older lady for directions and she literally held my hand and walked with me for about 10 -15 minutes until we parted ways.

Mumbai is a VERY busy city. It's like New York + Hong Kong + Manila times 100. Traffic and people everywhere. It's a little overwhelming to say the least. I'm sure I'll get used to it soon enough. For now, I just walk very slowly and take my time crossing the streets. Jay walking here is pretty scary. First of all, I keep forgetting to look the opposite direction from what I'm accustomed. Second, there's no sense of traffic laws as cars, motocycles, autorickshaws, buses weave in and out like there's no tomorrow. Two days ago while on the high way, I saw two cars drive on the wrong side of the road against traffic just to go by faster! SCARY. There wasn't a divider and we were definitely going 50 mph or more. One of the locals told me that it was a typical practice. Oh my, the drivers here have nerves of titanium!

And yes, it's really HOT! It doesn't feel quite like November or winter here. More like a sizzling summer day. I'll be nice and tan when I return!

The streets are very colorful and are lined with street vendors selling literally everything - sarees, sandals, purses, watches, cellphone cases, placemats, books, nuts, fruit drinks, jewlery and underwear. I thank Grandma for teaching me how to haggle - I'll be sure to make use of my bargaining skills. Though looking like a foreigner doesn't quite help... Maybe my stern face will do it. Or it might just crack them up! Vendors are very aggressive and persistent here. Slowly, I'm mastering the hand wave and head shake that I've seen Shefali (P. Kevin and Lynette's eldest daughter) do to firmly decline their offers.

Right now I'm staying at the YMCA. It's nice and neat - double beds, desk and attached shower. Interesting difference here - the shower stalls aren't separate from the sink and toilet. It's just one room with everything together.

Yesterday, P. Kevin and Lynette took me to check out some apartments in Bandra - the new, happening place. Apparently, this is where all the movie stars live (granted in really big mansions facing the Arabian sea and not in the densly packed zig zag streets further in)! There are also lots of ex-pats here and with that comes more Westernized shops and eateries. However, the standard for grocery shopping is much like Chinatown's wet markets and fresh fruits/veggies stands. Again, thank you Grandma for teaching me how to navigate through.

That's all for now - hopefully I'll get my own internet settled soon after I move into a more permanent place. Hope to hear from you!

Love,
Carolina

2 comments:

Unknown said...

carolina, sounds like things are pretty hecic. But, God can calm the storms in an instant. Try not to let those things overwhlem you. You have a whole church full of people who care for you and keep you in their prayers. You know your small group misses you so much and we await for your return and to hear all of the amazing things God has revealed to you during your stay in india. So, soak it all in. God will show you how powerful He is and His wonderful plan. GOD bless you and thanks for keeping us posted! =) I am SOOOO excited for you~!!!! =) woohoo~!!!

Melissa said...

That sounds absolutely incredible! I can't even imagine all the new ways of life that you will see over there. I'm very thrilled for you....would you happen to have a camera with a connection to a computer....I know, I know: it's a lot to ask but maybe with time???? The experiences you are having are so extremely valuable! You will come back with new understandings of life and a broadened perspective! I wish! Anyway, miss your spirit and can't wait to see your smile again.

God Bless,

Melissa